Saturday, February 14, 2009

Are you superstitious?

I'm not. But it REALLY sucks when something happens on a day like Friday the 13th!

We decided to have our Valentine's dinner out last night instead of tonight hoping that we could beat some of the crowd. We got to the restaurant at 7:30 and walked out at 8:40pm. When we came out, Bryan saw that the passenger windshield of his car had been smashed in and my PURSE was STOLEN! My mind immediately switched into "damage control" gear and I grabbed Bryan's wallet and started getting out credit cards & debit card to call. Bryan wanted to call the police first but I was more concerned with stopping the thieves in their tracks and not letting them have our money! Within 15 minutes I had all 4 cards cancelled and my bank account noted for extra security with all transactions. Luckily, I didn't have any checks in my purse so I don't think they would have access directly to my bank account. But, better safe than sorry.

During this time, I realize that my car & house keys were in my purse (along with my driver's license so they know where we live) so we quickly cleared the glass out of the car & raced home hoping to find our home still in peace. Home was fine. During our drive home, Bryan was on the phone with the police to file a report. Something minor like vehicle vandalism and a stolen purse is just done over the phone, they don't take the time to come out. *roll eyes*

Once we got home, I got online with the 3 credit bureaus (experian, transunion, and equifax) and filed a fraud alert so that credit can not be opened in our name without us being notified first. We decided to park my car at my sister's house for the night (since the thieves have my car keys) and we locked our storm door until we can get the locks changed on our main door today.

WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR!!!

So, today is a new day. I think I have done all I can to safe guard our identity & money. They did use one of my credit cards last night at a Buy for Less, Save-A-Lot, and rented $15 worth of Redbox DVDs. So, I figured they had a party last night on our behalf and bought beer, cigarettes, and movies. But, that's as far as they got before we had the cards cancelled,

The bad thing is that now we don't have access to money since our debit card has been cancelled and the bank is closed until Tuesday. Luckily, Bryan had some of his Christmas cash stashed away that should hopefully tide us over until then.

I just got off the phone with our car insurance and they will cover replacing our car keys (they are very expense now with the computer chip inside of the key plus the remote) and to also have the doors & ignition locks changed and to replace the broken windshield... after our $500 deductible, of course! Ugh!!! (we'll have to dip into our "new house" fund for that one, man that urks me!)

So, there you have it! HAPPY FREAKIN' VALENTINES! LOL!

No comments: